Sunday 23 April 2017

Control?

“For some time now, even while Saul was king, it was you who commanded the army of Israel. The LORD your God said to you: It is you who shall be shepherd of my people Israel, you who shall be ruler over my people Israel.”                               1 Chron. 11.2


These words are spoken by the people of Israel to David. The people saw clearly that David was God’s anointed. They saw this even while Saul was king. David also knew that he was to lead the people. He knew he was God’s choice.

But what about Saul? In another part of Scripture we read of Samuel speaking to Saul saying, “Because you have rejected the word of the LORD, he has also rejected you from being king.” (1 Sam. 15.23) Accordingly, Saul knew that he was not the man, but he refused to acknowledge David as the Lord’s anointed. In fact, he tried to kill him.
(1 Sam. 18.10,11)

How sad it is to read of a man, chosen by God then subsequently rejected because of his own actions. But how much sadder, to me, to see how this individual refused to see the truth of himself.

An important personal trait to me is integrity. I pray I will never be deluded about my place in God or, indeed, of anything He may call me to. He may have things for me to do. He may not! He may want me to give way to another. Pray God I have the grace to obey. God is in control. May I be always mindful of His guidance and His will for me. I surely need to keep my eyes focused on Him.





Almighty God,

I want never to make the mistake that Saul made. I look to fix my gaze on You, to be attentive to what You would have of me. Convict me, please, by Your Holy Spirit if I am ever tempted to do otherwise. Lead me in Your will and Your way. Hallelujah!     Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment