Friday 7 April 2017

Priority

The latter splendour of this house shall be greater than the former, says the LORD of hosts; and in this place I will give prosperity, says the LORD of hosts.       Haggai 2.9


God gives this mighty and amazing promise to His people. He spoke by name to Zerubbabel, to Joshua, and to all the people of the land. He pointed out the exceedingly poor state of the temple compared with its former glory (Is it not in your sight as nothing? v3). Then He encouraged them and reminded them that He was with them. And the promises flowed!

I see this as God’s response to a people who had turned from their own needs and wants, and embraced the priority of God in their lives, in all of their lives – thoughts, words and deeds. They did not come to this place by their own volition. Indeed, God had to remind them, most forcefully, of their waywardness. But they responded to His wake-up call, and gave themselves to Him. They were willing to re-organise their lives and give absolute priority to God. As they began to work with Him, and to live for Him, the promises of blessing came. And time brought fulfilment of those promises.

I am slowly learning to put God in first place, to consider all that I do in the light of His sovereignty in my life. I apply myself to a growing awareness of Him in every aspect of life. I am not there yet, but I sense growth in this. I look to Him. I acknowledge His authority in my life. I embrace His love.





Holy God,

I invite You into my life in a place of absolute priority. You responded to the Israelites and helped them. I ask for Your help. Be with me, Lord. Show me Your way. Let me be alert to all You would tell me and show me. May I willingly respond to whatever You ask of me. Lead me, in love, in Jesus’ name I ask.          Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment