Friday 21 April 2017

Lapses

So Saul died for his unfaithfulness; he was unfaithful to the LORD in that he did not keep the command of the LORD; moreover, he had consulted a medium, seeking guidance, and did not seek guidance from the LORD. Therefore the LORD put him to death and turned the kingdom over to David son of Jesse.                1 Chron. 10.13,14


Two complaints are here levelled against Saul. Firstly, he was unfaithful in not keeping the Lord’s command. And then he consulted a medium, looking there for guidance instead of to the Lord.

As I reflect on these failures of Saul the word that comes clearly to my mind is diligence. I do not believe that lapses on my part will incur God’s eternal wrath on me, but I do think it behoves me to act as well as I possibly can in pursuance of His will for me. My desire is to please Him, and not incur His displeasure or disappointment.

I do not always please Him. This saddens me, but it will not prevent me from further endeavour. I believe the way forward from any lapse is to seek, and receive, His forgiveness, and to give myself anew to His way.

How glorious it would be if I never had to take this path. If only I could act always in appropriate and pleasing ways. Sadly, this will not be so in this life. But this must not deter me. When I stray, I could easily hear my own voice saying, “You’ve done it now. That’s the end of you in God!” Instead I will give myself to listen to Jesus saying, “This is the way, walk in it. Make your peace with the Father. Tell Him you’re sorry, and be willing to move on. This is the way.”





Lord Jesus,

I thank You for Your faithfulness. I confess my sins to the Father and seek His forgiveness. I give myself again to go forward in You. You are the way, and You are truly the only way I want to go. Take me and guide me, in Your precious name I ask.     Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment