Tuesday 11 April 2017

Change

Jabez called on the God of Israel, saying, “Oh that you would bless me and enlarge my border and that your hand might be with me, and that you would keep me from hurt and harm!” And God granted what he asked.                                   1 Chron. 4.10


In almost four complete chapters of genealogy, lists of names and really nothing else, the writer breaks from the lists to give some narrative concerning Jabez. Why, I wonder, is this?

We are told that Jabez was so named by his mother saying, “Because I bore him in pain.” (v9) The name is a pun on the word “pain” in Hebrew. I can only imagine the emotional effect that living with a name like “pain” would have on an individual, not to mention the reaction from society and the resulting jibes and jokes. What a stigma this envisions!

But Jabez cries out to God, and God responds. What I see in Jabez’s call is a plea saying, “I feel cursed by the name that I bear. This need not be so. You are God almighty who can do anything. I beg you to change my circumstances, and prosper me. Release me, please, from the legacy of a name like Pain.”

God heard, and He answered. This story tells me that we are not bound by the circumstances of birth. God’s plans for us, for each of us, are good plans. If we show our willingness to co-operate with Him, He can well change our situation for the better. Will this always happen? Maybe not! But the simple knowledge that I am connected to God can change my attitude and perspective on external events. I think, either way, I can’t lose.





Lord God,

Thank You for this reminder that I am not bound by the status quo. With You all things are possible. I rejoice in this knowledge. I look to You in peace and joy. Hallelujah!
                                                                                                                                    Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment