Wednesday 1 June 2016

The First Move

I have swept away your transgressions like a cloud, and your sins like mist;
return to me, for I have redeemed you.                                                   Isa. 44.22


This verse reminds me that Christ died before I turned to God. God acted first. His great love for me caused Him to make clear the way of return to Him, even when there was no move on my part to repent.

Paul underscores this point:
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. (Rom. 5.8)

God made the first move. This is so telling. It is mirrored in much weaker form in the human situation where two people have a disagreement which polarises them. It takes concern, compassion and humility to “make the first move” in restoring the relationship.

On a far greater scale, God has done this for us, and all we need do is turn, repent, and receive His forgiveness and the gift of love, which leads to eternal life.

This is our God! He has spoken redemption to us through the Old Testament and ushered it in conclusively in the New Testament. I am so grateful. I thank my God as I embrace the fullness of forgiveness in Him.





Dear God,

How can I thank You enough for the gift of salvation that You have extended to me?

I rejoice in my relationship with You. I still struggle with the thought of my future sins. I don’t want to offend, yet I know I will. O, dear Lord, I thank You for Your most wonderful gift of forgiveness.

Thank You for drawing me back into relationship with You. I ask You to draw me closer, take me deeper, and lead me into wonderful new places in You. I ask this in Jesus’ precious name.                                                                                            Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment