Tuesday 7 June 2016

Goodness and hiddenness

Shower, O heavens, from above,
and let the skies rain down righteousness;
let the earth open, that salvation may spring up,
and let it cause righteousness to sprout up also;
I the LORD have created it.                                                                   Isa. 45.8


There is an intrinsic goodness in the created order by virtue of the simple fact that a righteous God brought everything into being.

This goodness may often be hidden to the extent that it becomes difficult, if not impossible, to see any hope of goodness in some instances.

I am heartened in reflection of this thought by a further verse in this chapter:
         Truly, you are a God who hides himself,
         O God of Israel, the Saviour. (V15)
God does not declare all of Himself. Indeed, I believe He reveals only that which He chooses to reveal in any instance or instant.

Goodness may often be hidden in a person or happening to the extent of hopelessness. Yet I am mindful that our hidden, not-fully-revealed God is the Saviour, who can ultimately bring forth righteousness and reconciliation.

Paul reminds us and encourages us with his words from the letter to the Romans:
         …but where sin increased, grace abounded all the more (Rom. 5.20)
God looks for me to trust Him. In any situation in which I struggle to see goodness, I place my trust in my not-fully-revealed God, and ask Him to work miracles of salvation, of rescuing a lost person or situation into restoration with Him.






Lord God,

Let me remember Your mighty hidden power and saving grace when I am faced with impossible situations of seeming hopelessness. May I call to You and release persons and circumstances fully into Your power and Your will. Your desire is that none shall perish. I ask, humbly, that You act to this end, in Jesus’ name.                                   Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment