Monday 27 June 2016

Freedom

The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
Day after day they pour forth speech;
night after night they display knowledge.                        Psalm 19.1,2

I am mindful of the vastness of the firmament about the earth. Perhaps the single word that comes to me in description is: freedom.

Yes, the heavens facilitate my living on earth in wondrous freedom. When I am indoors, in the comfort of my cosy home, I am safe and secure. Yet, if I found myself confined totally to the dwelling, I'm sure I would feel, after time, the restricting nature of roof and walls.

Outdoors the heavens are vast, yet they are not threateningly so. There is no sense of danger due to the unlimited nature of the sky above. Perhaps this is because I am so familiar with this heavenly covering.

As I reflect, I think joyfully of the sky during the day. Today is overcast, dull and rainy. But this is not oppressive. The sky still opens up the firmament overhead. Yesterday was gloriously fine, sunny and hot. The sky was so different, but equally enjoyable and welcome.

I think, then, of the night sky. At times, stars twinkle in profusion. Maybe the moon gives off an amazing  light, or a lack of moon and minimum starlight evoke peace and rest - a true stillness.

The firmament is dynamic. Constantly changing, it speaks continually. I find its messages to be reassuring and encouraging, sometimes even challenging. The sky is yet another way in which God speaks to me. I pray that I may ever be open to hear what He might be saying. May the skies continue to thrill me and captivate me with their wonder, their infinite variety, and His eternal presence.





Almighty God,

I am brought to a fresh reflection on the wonder of the heavens above the earth. I am mindful of the dynamic nature of the skies above, indeed of the whole of creation. You are ever at work, and I constantly see and receive Your invitation to me to join You in delight and wonder.

I respond, most loving Lord. Even today when the sky is grey and, at present, rain is falling consistently, refreshing the earth in most welcome manner.

I rejoice in this most wonderful part of Your creation. I express my gratitude to You that I am a small part of the wonder of what You have made.

The welcome rain falls, yet I see the heavens smiling above me. I thank You most heartily.   Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment