Saturday 25 June 2016

I need

LORD, who may dwell in your sanctuary? 
Who may live on your holy hill?                                Psalm 15.1

The psalmist asks of God who may reside in God's holy house, in the temple. The remaining verses of the psalm identify the qualities necessary to allow of co-habitation with God.

The NIV Study Bible notes (p. 798) identify this psalm as: instruction to those who wish to have access to God in his temple. I am relieved to receive this as "instruction", for I simply don't fit the profile that the words occasion. Verses 2 to 5 describe a moral righteousness that, quite frankly, I don't rise to. My flaws and imperfections leave me less than meeting these criteria.

If, however, I take this psalm as instruction, then there is hope. I am a sinner. I do live and struggle in a fallen world, and I know beyond doubt that I cannot effect my own salvation.

I need God. I have experienced His reaching out to me. He has drawn me to Him and opened up relationship with me. In Jesus I am cleansed. But I do believe that I need to return to Jesus continually. I stumble and fall with a regularity that is a little disconcerting. I wonder if God has this problem with others of His children!

The course of action that I feel to take is to come to Him at the earliest possible time. I lay myself before Him in confession and repentance. I place myself at His mercy, for I have no other acceptable option.

I know His love and mercy yet I do not wish to mis-use this. My desire to be all  that the psalmist presents as moral righteousness must be genuine. I want this to be so. I yearn to dwell in God's house in peace and blessing.








Almighty and Most Holy God,

Once again I am mindful of the miserable state of sin that ever seeks to assail me. I realise my own weakness, for I succumb, and I fail.

I do not excuse myself, yet I am aware that I cannot secure my salvation apart from You, Lord. I need the atoning sacrifice of my Lord Jesus Christ to release me, continually, from the effects of sin.

I come before You, humbly, and in sincere spirit. I confess my sins and I truly repent. I say again that I do not wish to perpetuate the practice of falling, and failing You. Help me, please.

I seek Your forgiveness and restoration into the sweetness of relationship with You. Lead me into and through this day. As we journey together, may I be drawn closer to You. Let me experience the touch of Your breath on me. Let me feel Your heartbeat, and live in step with it. Thank You. Amen.






No comments:

Post a Comment