Monday 13 June 2016

Empty gods

They lift it to their shoulders, they carry it, they set it in its place, and it stands there; it cannot move from its place.
If one cries out to it, it does not answer or save anyone from trouble.             Isa. 46.7


The prophet is writing about pagan gods and their impotence. They are sometimes carried on the backs of animals, and when the animal moves the idol on its back sways helplessly. (Vv1, 2) These “gods” cannot move, cannot speak words of warning, wisdom or encouragement; they cannot help anyone in trouble or save them.

By contrast, Yahweh says, “I have spoken, and I will bring it to pass; I have planned, and I will do it.” (v11) Our God is living, and loving.

I reflect on those who don’t acknowledge God today, and I wonder who “the gods” in their lives might be! Today, consciously or otherwise, people serve such gods as work and career, power and dominance, sexual and sporting prowess and, of course, the pervasive and shallow practice of celebrity worship. Such things are as empty as the timber and metal gods of old. Security and hope will not be found in popularity ratings nor superannuation funds or in brilliant careers.

I’m quite sure that the world needs relationship with the one true God. I am equally certain that this does not come about until God chooses to reveal Himself and draw individuals to Him. I am ever grateful that He did this for me. I am enabled to look beyond those transient worldly attempts at satisfaction, and embrace God Almighty and the amazing love He has for me.





Loving God,

I thank You for drawing me to You. I pray for those who seek fulfilment in worldly states. My request is that You draw them to You. Reach out to them, I pray, and show them the way of truth and love. Use me, please, to draw someone to You today, in Jesus’ name I pray.                                                                                                   Amen.




My book “God Talk” is available through major Internet booksellers.
A taste of the book's content can be seen in the You Tube clip (Search: Peter Francis - "God Talk").

No comments:

Post a Comment