Friday 1 July 2016

Trust

Some trust in chariots and some in horses, 
but we trust in the name of the Lord our God.       Psalm 20.7

Since very early on in the creation of humanity, a struggle has ensued between man doing things his way, or going God's way. History is littered with examples of the two extremes.

Psalm 20 is said to be a prayer for David, for his victory as he goes out to battle against an enemy that threatens. The pray-ers make it clear that they trust in God.

I am mindful of my own journey and particularly that part concerning the last dozen years. Over this recent time God has been leading me on a journey of trusting Him. It has been a progressive journey for I have found my trust in Him increasing gradually as time passed. I came to realise that God would not settle for less than full trust. My human nature found it difficult to give Him full trust. I live in a world where trust is, at best, conditional. My experience with God, and His insistence on receiving my full trust, has been challenging but also extremely enlightening. As I have yielded and given over more trust to Him, the practice becomes easier. Indeed, there are times when I wonder if I'm not being radically irresponsible. But this is not so! Rather, this is the beauty of trusting God. He is the only one I can fully and truly trust. He knows what I need, and when I need it. His love for me is totally overwhelming. I can confidently trust Him.

An earlier verse in this psalm states: May he give you the desire of your heart and make all your plans succeed. (V4)
I surrender my heart's desire to God, for I believe it is He who has given me this desire. I also yield my plans to Him - and I look for his plans for me.





Lord God,

I trust You, and it is a most wonderful thing. I can relax and know that You are in control. I need not struggle or strive for what I must do. Rather I look to what You place before me. I give myself to go where You lead me. I know that You are always with me.

My heart's desire is to follow Jesus. Like my precious Lord, I want to live to the fullness of Your will for me. I want to do only what You would have me do. I'm not totally doing these things yet. And so, I cry out to You. Help me, show me, lead me.

I ask for Your guidance and Your protection as I go. May I become more Christ-like with each passing day. Draw me close and take me deep, in Jesus' name I ask.             Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment