Friday 2 August 2019

Perseverance

As you know, we consider blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of Job’s perseverance and have seen what the Lord finally brought about. The Lord is full of compassion and mercy.                        Jas.5.11


Job presents a good example for all times. He was tested by God. I note that the Lord put the idea into Satan to afflict Job. God knew Job and He knew his committed heart. He described Job as blameless and upright, a man who fears God and shuns evil. (Job 1.8)

Satan took everything external away from Job. He even imposed physical suffering on him. Yet Job did not spurn God. He persevered. Job persevered saying “Though he slay me, yet will I hope in him.” God rewarded Job by blessing the latter part of his life more than the first (Job 42.12), but Job had no awareness of this as he persevered through difficult times. He simply persevered out of his love and commitment to God.

Trials come to me. Is God testing me? I don’t know if He deliberately puts me to a test and, somehow, I don’t need to know. If my love for, and commitment to, God is strong then I will simply persevere, unmindful of the reason for the struggle, and not focussing on its reward other than to get closer to Jesus through perseverance in struggle.



Lord God,
I get the idea, but I’m not sure how well I can action it. I want to persevere, and I note well the example of Job.
As in all things, I need Your help. I ask You to remind me of Job and the need to persevere when things really get tough. Let me remember also the most excellent example of all in Jesus, who persevered and gave His life that I might keep mine – eternally. Thank You, Lord.  I bless You.           Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment