Wednesday 21 August 2019

The Servant

Surely he took up our infirmities and carried our sorrows, 
yet we considered him stricken by God, smitten by him, and afflicted.                                                                                          Isa.53.4


The whole chapter 53 of Isaiah is poignant yet, at the same time, strangely beautiful It speaks to the depths of my being. It tells me of the amazing love that God has for me, and how this love was demonstrated through Christ.

Isaiah talks of the suffering and glory of “the Servant”. Jesus is the ultimate servant. His life, death and suffering cove the extent of His service to humanity. He redeems us; He sets us free, and He leads us into glory.

Jesus gave Himself for me and for all who receive Him. He took my woes and sins upon Himself “surely”. This tells me that there is no uncertainty over what He has done for me. It is sure; it is certain; it is done, and will not be undone.

Yet we considered him stricken by God. It sounds as if God placed a horrible disease upon His Son. But the disease was ours and not God’s. The Son placed the disease on Himself. We could say that God did it, for the Son is indeed God. The disease was sin, the sin of all people, of all time. The sin is mine. This wonderful servant took my sin upon Himself, thereby not only releasing me from the burden sin but, wonderfully taking away all dreadful consequences. 

The Son has set me free for all time. I am immensely and inexpressibly grateful. I am no longer bound, but free. I desire to use my freedom by being a solid and true witness for Jesus. I hope I can live out this desire.


Jesus, my most precious Lord,
Words cannot begin to express my gratitude to You. I am humbly filled with wonderful thanks and praise.
I give myself to You, and I desire to live my life in witness to You. I ask You to endorse me in this desire. I will experience failings in my own efforts, but You can, once again, rescue me. I pray that You will show me clearly when I stray or err in my witness. I ask that Your Holy Spirit will convict me. May I come before You in confession and repentance. Would You please forgive me, and lead me forward in the right way? 
I know that You are with me, and I believe that You will never leave me. I thank You.              Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment