Thursday 15 August 2019

Challenge

The Pharisees challenged him, “Here you are, appearing as your own witness; your testimony is not valid.”                          John 8.13


Jesus has been challenged in His testimony. He has appeared as His own witness. The Pharisees were insisting upon the letter of the Jewish law (Deut. 19.15) which required two witnesses to attest to any matter. Ironically, they have totally ignored His specific revelation : I am the light of the world”, and side-tracked the dialogue with distracting legalism.

Jesus answers their challenge by nominating two witnesses – Himself and the Father (v 18). He then proceeds to challenge them about who their father is. After some mention of the fatherhood of Abraham, He accuses them of being children of the devil and not children of God.

What has spoken to me as I have read and reflected on this passage and this verse in particular, is the strength, visibility and validity of my witness to Jesus. How effective am I as a witness to Jesus and His Gospel? He has done wonderful and amazing things in my life, but do I share His impact on me as freely and as willingly as I might?

Jesus named two witnesses – Himself and the Father. I, likewise, can name two witnesses – myself and the Holy Spirit. Jesus knew this before He left this earth, and He spoke it into being:“… you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses…”(Acts 1.8)

I have been commissioned to go into all the world and proclaim the Gospel of Love. I am empowered by the Holy Spirit of the Mighty God, the Spirit of Jesus the Christ. I am assured that I will bear fruit (John 15.5). I can do this by remaining in Jesus, and allowing Him, with His Spirit, to inhabit me.



Lord God,
I have been called to be a witness for my Lord Jesus. I come.
I have been endued with power from on high by the presence and in-dwelling of Your Holy Spirit. I receive this.
I have been commissioned to go forth, journeying to the ends of the earth if needed, to proclaim the Gospel of Christ, to baptise, and to make disciples. I offer my obedience.
I speak as Samuel spoke in answer to Your call: “Here I am, Lord. Speak for your servant is listening.” I echo the words of Isaiah, saying, “Here I am. Send me!”
I repeat the words of the psalmist, “Show me your ways, O LORD, teach me your paths; guide me in Your truth and teach me, for you are God my Saviour.” 
Show me your ways, Lord, and lead me in them. Lead me in the way You have appointed specifically for me. Strengthen me for the journey. I know You will never leave me. Let me be a true witness to my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment