Thursday 2 May 2019

Please Him

So we make it our goal to please him, whether we are at home in the body or away from it.                                                2 Cor. 5.9


Paul refers to our earthly body as a tent – a temporary and flimsy thing, frail, vulnerable and wasting away. After this tent, we have a building from God, an eternal house in heaven. There is nothing flimsy about our eternal abode. It is a solid and permanent structure.

Paul talks of our desire to be in the heavenly rather than the earthly abode: at home with the Lord. I know this to be my preferred option. There are days when I so long to go home. When you have an expectation of something good and wonderful to come it is understandable to want to experience it. 

But then Paul brings us to what I see as a levelling verse for this earth-heaven seesaw. I take this verse and receive it for myself. My goal is not to leave this earthly dwelling because I feel ready for heaven. Rather, my goal is to please Him, to please Him in where I’m at and in what I do – to please Him in everything.

Right now, my place to please Him is here on earth. Until He elects to take me home. I dedicate myself to His service where I am.



Lord God,
Again I have opportunity to declare my love for You. I love You, Lord, and I’m delighted to come to You today in love.
This love brings forth a desire in me to please You. Whatever I do, and wherever I find myself doing it, my goal is to please You. Let Your will, not mine, be done.
The day stretches out before us. I ask You to lead me through this day. Show me the way. I want to go Your way.
May I please You, in everything I do, in Jesus’ name I ask.            Amen.




No comments:

Post a Comment