Tuesday 28 May 2019

Suffering and Power

I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death.          Phil. 3.10


Paul is talking about intimate relationship with Jesus. There are two contrasting sides of Jesus that Paul refers to. To know Jesus we need to know the man who suffered. This was reality. Christ suffered deeply and cruelly. In contrast to this is the glorious and powerful resurrection. The act of resurrection may be viewed as sufficiently powerful in itself, but the impact of it is greatly increased in the light of the suffering. The man who had been considered by the authorities as a threat had been dealt with as a common criminal and a phoney. If we look at Christ’s sufferings through the eyes of His accusers we see, not the Son of God in unjust treatment and abject suffering, but we see a nuisance and a troublemaker being punished and made an example of.

But this wretched death was to be succeeded by the powerful, earth-changing resurrection of the all-mighty Son of God.

I need to know Jesus in both these faces in order to appreciate and enjoy ultimate relationship with Him.

I may experience suffering in my own life and, possibly, directly on account of my relationship with Jesus. If I should, the knowledge of His suffering, that is knowing Jesus as the suffering sacrifice, will strengthen me. It will draw me to Him and bring me, slowly, into conformity with Him.



Lord Jesus,
I acknowledge Your suffering and Your powerful resurrection. Draw me closer to You through these contrasting aspects of You. Let me come to know You more in both respects. Be with me in any sufferings I may be called on to endure. I ask this in Your living name.          Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment