Friday 3 May 2019

Reality

I said, “I will not again see the LORD, 
the LORD, in the land of the living; 
no longer will I look on mankind, 
or be with those who now dwell in this world.”                       Isa. 38.11


I note the first verse of this chapter:
In those days Hezekiah became ill and was at the point of death. The prophet Isaiah son of Amoz went to him and said, “This is what the LORD says: Put your house in order, because you are going to die; you will not recover.”

God warned Hezekiah of his coming death. Hezekiah was distraught and cried out to God. God responded by granting him a further fifteen years of life.

The verse quoted (v11) is part of Hezekiah’s response to this interaction. It would seem that, notwithstanding the granting of an extra fifteen years, Hezekiah feels he will face death “in the prime of his life.” (v16)

The reality for us all is that we are not assured of any length of time on this earth. Verse 11 needs to be heeded by every believer. I know that it is certainly speaking to me. At any time I could find that I will not see God again as my earthly life comes to a close. This is not grievous to me, for I know, when I leave this place, I shall see Him face-to-face.

Hezekiah also mentions that he – and I, of course – will not look on my fellow humans or be with them. This is a present reminder to me of the work I wish to do before I die. I realise this is what wish. God may have other plans, yet I can hold on to my desire, and hope that His wish is for me to continue in service to Him.



Holy Father,
I love You deeply. Whilst I long to see You face to face, I also strongly desire to do more for You, and with You, whilst I remain on this earth. 
Please hear this, my plea. Please hear me and allow me further ministry in You. I have a sensing that the present time will open up new work for me. I hope this is so. I pray that I might hear from You in confirmation of this. I ask these things in Jesus’ name.                  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment