Thursday 9 May 2019

The Way

A voice of one calling:
“In the desert prepare
the way for the LORD; 
make straight in the wilderness 
a highway for our God.”                                                      Isa. 40.3

I have just realised a misunderstanding I have carried for years. I have long taken this verse to begin with: A voice of one calling in the desert.Today I have seen that this is not so. The voice is calling, of course, but it is directing people to prepare a way for the Lord – in the desert of their lives.

What, then, might the desert be? My guess is that the desert represents the barren parts of life, those times of straying from the Lord, or even being downright disobedient to Him. This cannot be ignored, for such times are real. It is grievous that God’s children can act in such a disparaging way, but this is the truth.

Whilst these words are recorded in respect to Jerusalem, I hear them speaking to me. I do not think this is wrong. Indeed, I think what God may have to say to anyone could well be taken up by me.

So, I am required to prepare the way in the desert and make a straight highway there for my Lord and God. How do I do this? I immediately think of those precious words from the letter to the Hebrew believers: Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfector of our faith. (Heb. 12.2) Jesus allows me to prepare the way for God. Jesus has made it possible for me to make a straight highway for God in the wilderness of my life. As I focus on Jesus, and look first for the Kingdom of God (Matt. 6.33), so God will lead me on right paths (Ps.23) where He will be ever with me.



Lord God,
I cannot live without You. Forgive me for those times when I have strayed from the straight ways. Guide me along the path of Your highway. Strengthen me to live in You, to the fullness of my being. Thank You.             Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment