Tuesday 11 September 2018

Supreme

The  journey continues. Today I had yet another treatment cancelled. This time the blood count was low. Last week there was a diversion stemming from a routine visit to the cardiologist. He told me my heart was fibrillating. This, he said, was not good and it must be further investigated. I was to see him again after three days and, if the condition had not improved, I needed hospitalisation for some days whilst further investigations were carried out. All I could think of was:"What's next? is there to be no end to this?" Fortunately, my return visit showed a normal heart with no fibrillation at all.
I cannot get down about this, for I firmly believe that God is in charge. And, if He so determines and the treatment is protracted, then so be it. He has His reasons and -  maybe one day - I will know what they are!!
As the meditation today affirms, God is supreme. This is good enough for me. I will not fuss over future appointments. I will simply take each day as it comes, and enjoy myself - and Him - to the degree that I am able.

Supreme


Arise Lord! Lift up your hand, O God.
Do not forget the helpless.                                 Psalm 10.12


Psalm 10 may be called a psalm of accusation against the oppressors. The wicked are seemingly on top. All that they do brings prosperity and success. They victimise and disadvantage the innocent.

These words seem so appropriate today, yet they were written perhaps three thousand years ago. I am tempted to ask, “Is nothing new?”

Yet God will not be bettered. Judgment and justice belong to Him. In time – in His time not mine – He will move. He will punish the wicked and restore the godly.

Psalm 10 ends with a wonderful stanza of positive praise and glory. It affirms God as supreme, it encourages man that the Almighty is just that.

The Lord is king for ever and ever; 
the nations will perish from his land.
You hear, O Lord, the desire of the afflicted; 
you encourage them, and you listen to their cry, 
defending the fatherless and the oppressed, 
in order that man, who is of the earth,
may terrify no more.               Psalm 10.16-18




Lord God,
You are to be revered and held in awe. You are supreme. You are just and faithful. The wicked of the earth may seem to “have their day” and get away with much. But this is foolishness and the day of reckoning is coming.
Lord, I salute You. I confess You Lord and Master over all of my life. Show me the way You want me to go and lead me in that way. Let me be done with foolishness and wicked things. I seek to waste no time Lord. I want only to do Your will. Take me, guide me, in Jesus’ name I ask.                      Amen.




No comments:

Post a Comment