Sunday 2 September 2018

Holiness

But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all that you do, for it is written “Be holy, because I am holy.”   1 Peter 1. 15,16



God created me with the paramount intention of enjoying me in the sublime of intimate relationship with Him. God is holy, pure, righteous. His intention was for me to be likewise. Sadly, human interference denied this to me, and my relationship with my God was sullied. 

But God is not only holy, He is, indeed, all things. And He is love itself. His love would not allow me to remain in a sinful state, and so, He sent his perfect Son to save me from sin, and restore me to right relationship with God – with Father, Son and Spirit. God did not do this out of pity. His action was because He wants me to be holy, for it’s only through holiness that I can enjoy the ultimate relationship with Him.

Jews celebrate Yom Kippur. This is the Day of Atonement when the high priest would enter the Holy of Holies to atone for the sins of all Jews. Jesus’ life and sacrificial death atoned for the sins of all people of all time and all nations. No one need be exempt. Through Jesus, I can appear holy before God. I enjoy the fullness of relationship with Him. I like to break down the English word atonement into constituent parts of at-one-ment, for this is how it is for me – I am at one with my holy and loving God.

But what about me and my holiness? I am not like Jesus, nor will I be, despite my very best efforts. Will God accept me with my flaws and defects? I understand my God to be loving, merciful and forgiving. Yes, He is holy, righteous and pure, but He also knows that I am not, nor will I attain this in my own strength. I have accepted Jesus as Saviour and acknowledged Him as Lord. So, I’m on the way!

I believe holiness is something that God gives me. I do not hesitate to ask for more, and I look to the day when I can manifest His holiness in me.






Lord God,
I thank You for Your many gifts to me. I especially look to You for the gift of holiness. I know how I miss the mark, and I ask You to forgive me. As with most – if not all things – I cannot achieve this on my own. I seek Your help. I ask for Your help, your blessing, and Your holiness.                Amen.


1 comment:

  1. thanks Pete, always good to read this truth, and know my importance to God, thanks for this, Andy

    ReplyDelete