Tuesday 4 September 2018

The Christian Way

“Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within him.”                         John 7.38


The verse following explains that Jesus was referring to the Holy Spirit with His mention of living water. As we give ourselves to Him, we open up to the Holy Spirit who may take us over and fill us with His presence. Our bodies become temples of the Holy Spirit (1 Cor. 6.19). The Holy Spirit is a gift from God. The Holy Spirit is God’s power at work within us and through us.

Jesus was a giver. He gave to the extent of sacrificing His very life so that others could be spared eternal damnation, and saved into eternal life.

Jesus invites me to follow Him. This requires giving from me. I begin by giving myself to Him. I release myself into the will of God. My life and living ceases to be what I want, but what He wants (Luke 22.42). Jesus gave His all! Am I prepared to do likewise?

I’d like to say, “Lord, have Your way with me.”Indeed I have said so at times, but do I really mean it? I think I need to be more consistent. I am aware of times when I walk so closely with God. At other times I feel distant – and I know He has not moved away. The flesh influences me, worldly temptations bombard, and I fall away.

I believe the action is to return to the beginning, and make every effort to follow through. Jesus has given me the perfect example. He invites me to follow Him. What, then, am I waiting for?



Lord Jesus,
I come to You anew. I seek to embrace more fully Your invitation for me to follow You. You lived to do the Father’s will – completely. You listened to the Father and obeyed Him. Your obedience took You to a most horrid death. Yet You obeyed.
I want to obey, but I do not have the perfection that You have. I seek Your help. I need Your guidance, strength and resolve. And so, I ask for it. Help me, please. Like You, I want to be a giver. Would You show me the way in this? And would You accompany me along the way? I thank You for Your friendship. I ask for Your guidance. I thank You again.                   Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment