Friday 7 September 2018

First love

But I have this against you, that you have abandoned the love you had at first.                                                                         Rev. 2.4


The words are directed to the church at Ephesus, but if we read Revelation with the understanding that the seven churches of Asia are representative of the whole church of Jesus Christ, then we realise that any part of what is said to any of the churches mentioned might just apply to any one of us. 

I believe this particular verse is significant for every believer.

Love is what connects us with God in the first place. God’s love for us moved Him to reconcile ourselves to Him through Jesus. When we experience God’s revelation through Jesus we receive a large measure of His love which releases, in turn, a love for Him in us. This first love is sweet, powerful, fresh and innocent. Truly, in this love, we see all things as possible. But it’s not the doing that is important, it’s the being.

I pray that I might always be in love with Jesus, with the force, power, sweetness and beauty of that first love. 




Lord God,
I know the love You have for me that manifested itself so powerfully in the sacrifice of the cross and the reconciliation that it brought. I know this love and I believe I am moving closer to You in it.
My prayer is that love will grow in my life – love of You, and love for You. I want to be hopelessly – no, perhaps helplessly – in love with You.
Indeed, this love is not without hope but is filled to overflowing with hope, and faith.
It assures me of the mercy and grace of the blessing of God. But the greatest blessing, Sweet Saviour, is knowing You.
Draw me closer, increase my loving relationship with You and let it spill over into all of my life.                 Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment