Saturday 2 June 2018

Normal?

Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is – his good, pleasing and perfect will.                                                                                        Rom. 12.2


I have just completed the initial radiation and chemotherapy treatment. I have now been encouraged by the hospital staff to enjoy “normal” living for the next four weeks while the effects of the treatment are developing.

This has got me thinking, just what is normal? And what might be normal for a God-lover like me? The word “normal” does not appear in the Bible, but the secular world is quite familiar with it. One dictionary describes normal as: conforming with, adhering to, or constituting a norm, standard, pattern, level, or type; typical. How boring is this? Especially the typical bit! Who wants to be “typical”?

For much of my early life I felt “different”, and it wasn’t a good sort of different. This is no longer the case! Now I feel extremely, and totally, special – and I’m comfortable and very much at home with being special. I also think this is how every believer ought to feel, think and behave. For we are, indeed, special people.

We have been chosen by the Great God Himself to enjoy sweet and intimate relationship with Him. Make no mistake about this. We did not choose. He has chosen us, but He does give us the opportunity and choice to affirm Him. Jesus makes it clear to us what the process is. It could almost look like a conspiracy between the Father and the Son. Yet, I’m sure the Spirit is also in there somewhere. Jesus says, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” (John 14.6) He also says: “No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him.” (John 6.44) So you see, the matter is entirely between the Godhead. All we can do is receive, receive and be utterly thankful. For He takes us into that most holy place where we share in deepest intimacy with Him. How can we possibly claim to be normal with such blessing and lavish abandonment.

Yes, I use the term abandonment deliberately. Paul tells me that the renewing of my mind will allow me to test and approve God’s will – His good, pleasing and perfect will. I hope you know by now that this is where I want to live – in the very centre of God’s will. Nowhere else will satisfy me. And so, I give myself to “abnormality” and I abandon myself, and embrace wholeheartedly the special nature He has given me.

My hope is that other believers will take hold of the richest gift that we could ever possibly have in the relationship He offers. And if, by chance, you are reading this without this relationship, I urge you to wait on Him – it is His work and His move, but be ready to say “Yes, Lord” when He calls you to choose.



Dear Loving God,
I thank you that I am not normal. I am extremely pleased to be special, and I embrace this, Your “specialness”, with all of my being. I pray for believers everywhere that they may know the exquisite joy of intimacy with You. I pray for non-believers and dare to remind You that it is Your desire that none shall perish. Draw them to Jesus, Lord. Show them the way, the truth and the life. And lead us all forward into love, peace and blessing. I ask these things in Jesus powerful and sweet name.               Amen.






No comments:

Post a Comment