Sunday 3 June 2018

Friendship

The LORD confides in those who fear him; 
he makes his covenant known to them.                                                                     Ps. 25.14


I believe the psalmist is talking about friendship with God. This is intimate relationship, a connection between two individuals that allows them to share – deeply, honestly, and lovingly. Friendship deepens with time and with application; friendship allows confidences to be shared. I remember the adage from the Road to Emmaus programme: To have a friend you must be a friend.

How might I develop friendship with God? I believe the first move is with Him. He chooses me; He makes me that offer that I would be most foolish to refuse. It is as if He says: “Come to me, come with me and let me change your life into the existence you were created for. You are a most beautiful being but, perhaps, the person you now are has been shaped more by the world than by me. And the world is flawed. I do not want you to be flawed. My desire for you is that you live in the fullness of my plan for you.”

I believe my first move into friendship with God is to hear, and respond to His call. And then I need to listen to Him. Knowing of God’s immense love and His incredible power can easily lead me to present to Him a constant stream of petitions and requests. This would make for an extremely one-sided friendship.

No, true friendship is a partnership. It involves give and take. For my part, I want to give myself fully into God’s will for me. In taking, I look to Him for direction. I position myself to hear what He might say or ask of me. And I commit to follow through in joyful relationship and the fullness of a true and faithful friendship.

And it’s not all about doing. Being comes first. I am a child of God. He has chosen me and drawn me into relationship and the most wonderful friendship. 

I give myself wholeheartedly.



Lord, Loving God,
I thank You for Your gracious act of friendship. I give myself fully into relationship with You. I love You and desire to share so much with You.
May we enjoy together some of the secrets of heaven as journey the road of earthly life in relationship. Thank You.                       Amen.






No comments:

Post a Comment