Tuesday 5 June 2018

Working out

Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed – not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence – continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling.                                                                                                                       Phil. 2.12


Paul congratulates the Philippian believers on their obedience. He refers to their compliance with his teachings, and this whether he is with them or absent from them. This begs the question of me: Am I always obedient to the will of God? I know I want to be, and I really try to be, but I do not always succeed. So, what might I do to live more fully in the Father’s will?

I think the first point to take hold of is that it is His will. He is the creator and the originator of what He – and only He – desires. Furthermore, God has drawn me into that will through the wonder and miracle of salvation. Again, this is God’s work and His ownership: Salvation belongs to our God, who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb. (Rev. 7.10) Salvation is God’s, but He graciously and generously bestows it on me. With it comes the gift of His will and, as always, a choice for me – to accept his will or not.

When I say “Yes” to God and open myself to live in His will, I do not need to ponder what that will might be. It is His will, and my prime task is to open myself in obedience to it. God places His will in me. He knows what He has for me and what He wants of me. There is no debate about this. The required action by me is to work out the will that God has worked into me.

As I write this, it sounds so simple. Again, like other aspects of living in God, it appears simple, but not easy to fulfil. How, then, can I best give myself to fulfil God’s will in my life? Yet again I refer to the writer of the letter to the Hebrews, and I follow his advice: Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfector of our faith.” (Heb. 12.2) 

I came to faith through Jesus. He will lead me through to perfection. Hallelujah!



Wonderful Lord Jesus,
I look to You – in all things! I know You are the way, and I give myself into the way that is You. Lead me, please, into the fullness of the Father’s will. Walk with me, into the perfection that is You. Thank You.                  Amen.




No comments:

Post a Comment