Tuesday 12 June 2018

Faith and Hope

Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who promised is faithful.                                                                                                              Heb. 10.23


There is a connection between faith and hope. In the next chapter of this wonderful writing we shall read that faith is the assurance of things hoped for. Faith and hope go together. In faith we receive the promise of a thing and in hope we go forward expecting the promise to become reality. 

The entry into the Holiest may be seen as the beginning of the true Christian life. It is a life we enter in faith that we will, constantly and continually, receive everything that we need from God. It is a life where we believe, in faith, God’s working to be all in all. He will do all that is needed, in everything.

This faith is upheld by hope. In a life of faith we look not to ourselves but to God. We look to Him in faith, and we place our hope in Him for the reality of the outcome of that faith in our lives.

Our hope is strengthened by our confession of it. In our utterance, from our utterances, come clarity and reality. Our confession glorifies God. Our confession helps and encourages those around us. Our confession affirms our commitment. The epistle writer is filled with encouragement for his leaders: Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering. O, Yes! Let me, in faith, believe. Let my faith move forward in hope. Let me be ever willing to confess my hope, to hold it fast without wavering. O, Yes, Yes! Let me do this.

And, as I do so, let me be further encouraged to know that the one who promised me is faithful. He is faithful to each and every one of His promises, and His promises are marvellous and amazing. The promises of the Lord God to me are more, far more than I could ever imagine possible. And He is faithful. He will faithfully keep all His promises to me. 

I hold fast the confession of my hope without wavering, and I thank the Lord, Mighty God.



Lord God,
I believe You have many promises for me, and I have faith to look for the fulfilment of each and every one of them. I know You have much to share with me. I know You have much for me to do. But, more than this, I know You have a special relationship for me to enjoy with You. I know these things. I have faith for them, and I wait, in the fullness of hope, for the realisation of them all. I confess, I freely confess my hope in the many and wonderful things that You have for me.
I lay before you my hopes and dreams, for I believe they are Yours. I surrender to You the desires of my heart for I think You put them there. I look to You, only to You, for the fulfilment of Your plans and purposes in my life. Take me, use me, in Jesus’ name I ask.                               Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment