Friday 29 June 2018

Believing the promise

By faith Abraham, when he was tested, offered up Isaac, and he who received the promise was offering up his only begotten son.                                                                 Heb. 11.17


This is amazing! Abraham was promised a son by God. In faith Abraham believed for his son, and he held on. His faith led him beyond all possible hope in the natural. But his faith was not in the natural. Abraham had faith, he believed, in a supernatural God. And Abraham’s God could do anything. Indeed, God gave Abraham his son, at a time when both he and Sarah were well beyond the age of procreating.   

Then a most catastrophic happening occurred. God asked Abraham for his son back! He asked Abraham to sacrifice Isaac. How can the seed of Abraham possibly be germinated if the sower (the son) is removed? This is, indeed, a most remarkable turn of events. Then, believe it or not, an even more remarkable thing happens – Abraham actually proceeds to obey God and to give up his son. What is going on? 

I have thought often of Abraham’s predicament in being asked to surrender his son. I have translated the situation into my own life. How would I feel if God asked me to give up my precious daughter? O, the agony of merely thinking about it. Could I do it? Would I do it?

This is an extremely difficult scenario in which to imagine oneself. I have thought about it, felt the pangs of love for my daughter tug at every part of my heart, and wondered!

Yet, in reading this passage again today I am aware of another perspective, and one that could cause equal difficulty and turmoil. It is an interpretation that stands adjacent but separate to the fact that Abraham was asked to give up his beloved son.

God had made Abraham a promise. It was a promise that simply could not be fulfilled in the natural. If this promise was to be believed, it required the utmost faith. Abraham demonstrated faith. Despite the totality of negative evidence that confronted him, Abraham had faith to believe that God would honour His promise. And, in time, a long time in fact, God did fulfil His promise. The son was born.

The son grew, and Abraham grew to love him more and more. Isaac was the realisation of his greatest dream. More importantly, he was the fulfilment of God’s promise.

Then God asks for him back. But what about the promise?“You promised, Lord. You said, and You did. But now You’re undoing. I’m losing what You promised me.” Abraham could well have responded to God in this way. He did not. He chose rather to obey God and he did so believing that God would still restore his son.

O Abraham, I feel so small when I read, and more so realise, the potency of your mighty faith. To believe for the promise required giant faith. But to see the promise threatened and still believe for it, creates in my mind a measure of faith that makes me gasp. I am struck by the enormity of faith. I am envious, yes, I admit it. O, that I might know such a faith!



Lord God,
I receive today a new perspective on what it is to be of the seed of Abraham. I declare, with gravity and humility, the privilege it is for me to come from such beginnings.
I want to live by faith. I want to walk in faith. Yes, I do want faith like these heroes I read of in this wonderful letter to the Hebrews. I want their kind of faith, in full measure.
I want to please You, Lord. I know that I cannot do this without faith (Heb. 11.6) I want to please You, and I want the faith, great faith, to do so.
Hear this cry of my heart. May it touch Your heart, and move You to release more faith into me. I ask this in Jesus’ name.                       Amen.





No comments:

Post a Comment