Wednesday 30 May 2018

Following

Still another said, “I will follow you, Lord; but first let me go back and say goodbye to my family.                                                                                                                                     Luke 9.61


The man qualified his acceptance of following Jesus. Quite naturally, he wanted to farewell his family. However, when we follow Jesus we may be called to move from the natural, to give up habits that stem from our worldly way of living. Human logic is foolishness against the wisdom of God. Yet human thinking so dominates daily life that it might require extreme effort on our part to break through.

Jesus’ way is the spiritual way. As I give myself to follow Him, I release myself to the working of God’s Holy Spirit in me, and to His leading of me through the whole of my life and living. And this must be a complete giving of myself. I cannot partially live in the Spirit. I cannot give myself to follow the Spirit when it suits me. If I am serious about following Jesus – and I do believe I am – then I give myself into His spiritual leading and guiding for every single moment of life.

Furthermore, I am finding this is not difficult as I give myself to it! Indeed, there are times when I think I’m being rather irresponsible. This is not so! What I am in fact doing, is trusting God. And how good this is!

To be able to say, “I trust God”is the most wonderful thing. As I present myself, daily, into His charge and keeping, I find I can relax in who I am, and I need not worry about what I must do. God is in charge, and all I need do is follow Him.

I love God, and I delight in His ways for me. At times the way may be uneven, even rocky and rugged. Yet, with God in charge, I know it is the right way for me. I need fear no evil, nor concern myself with the details of life. I simply give myself into the day as it unfolds.
I say, quite simply, “Lord, have Your way in me.”



Lord God,
I repeat, “Have Your way in me.” I want to go the way You would have me go – always. I pray that Your plan and purposes for me will unfold as we journey the day together. I give myself fully into Your keeping and I look to serve You faithfully in whatever the day holds. I love You, and I seek to outwork that love in my life today.                   Amen.






No comments:

Post a Comment