Sunday 20 May 2018

Family

They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer.                                                                                                            Acts 2.42


Today I met with my church family, for the first time face to face, since this present adventure began for me, some two months ago. It is always a privilege to minister to them or, indeed, to any of God’s precious children, but today was especially meaningful because we reconnected in His house and as His family. In the intervening time I have received visits and greetings from various members of my church family. Some have provided meals (greatly appreciated) while others have come forward to drive me to the treatment appointments. I am so grateful. But today was the first time for us all to meet together – and it was very special. After I gave my message, “This Present Season”, we shared communion as family. We celebrated our elder brother, Jesus, and His love and sacrifice for us, which brings us back into sweet relationship with the Father. 

The verse I’ve quoted refers to the early believers. It tells us of their practices. Before all else, they devoted themselves to learning about Jesus from the apostles’ first hand experiences. This is knowing Jesus rather than knowing about Him. There is a mighty difference between the two. We can know a great deal about God yet, if we don’t enjoy relationship, true and deep relationship, with Him then we are nothing. 

I cherish the relationship He has drawn me into. And from this relationship has come my relationship with so many brothers and sisters in Christ. I can truly say that He has given me an enormous, loving and caring family. And I have seen this manifest in recent times. I am indeed blessed, and I thank my God for His amazing love. 

Whilst I can rejoice in the blessings He pours out on me, I also feel for those who have no family. This can be addressed, and I can assist with my prayer to the Father for His intervention in lives that are desperate for love and care, companionship and understanding, company and comfort. I know these things, and I am so very grateful for them. But the gift is too precious to be kept secret. Jesus says that no one comes to Him unless the Father draws them. Peter tells me that the Father wants everyone to come into repentance (2 Peter 3.9) and, through repentance to enter into sweet relationship with the Father – and with His wonderful, enormous, loving family. Yes, please!!



Most Loving Father,
I thank You for the relationship You have drawn me into. I thank You for the wonderful friendship I enjoy with You and the many friendships that this has spawned with my brothers and sisters in Christ. I boldly ask for increase. Enable me, if You will, to spread the love, and to introduce others to the beauty and joy of relationship with You and Your family.
I pray especially for any who may be feeling lonely or in need at this time. My plea is that You would intervene and bring hope to the seemingly hopeless. May Jesus present in the form of one of His brothers or sisters. Send human hands and feet to minister Your love to those who may see themselves as unloved or even unlovely. Draw them to Jesus, in whose name I ask.             Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment