Friday 31 July 2015

Memorial?

My journeying has now taken me to France to meet up with more family in their delightful summer home in Brittany.

Yesterday we made an outing to a local attraction, the Carnac alignments, which is described as an exceptional Neolithic site. The information sheet tells of 6000 year old megaliths that were erected between the fifth and third Millenia BC. The stone constructions comprise  alignments (rows of standing stones) - stretching for a number of kilometres



and consisting of menhirs (a Breton word meaning "long stone")


and enclosures (a space closed off by adjoining or close megaliths).

Occasionally one sees a dolmen ("stone table" in Breton - comprising a chamber, sometimes with a burial passage, bounded by horizontal stones).


Different hypotheses have been put forward regarding the purpose and function of these Neolithic structures. They may represent sacred burial architecture. They might have served as ceremonial places, territorial markers or even emblems of the collective identity of the group that built them. Perhaps one of the first thoughts one gets is: how were all these immense stones put into the positions they occupy? Certainly a lasting thought is: just what do these remarkable structures represent?

As I ponder on what I have seen, and take in my sensing that here is a most wonderful memorial - but of, or to, what? I am challenged to consider what sort of "memorial" could I leave behind, and how easily might it be recognised and received.

I am, once again, struck by Jesus' words " Follow me". Yes, I hope I can be remembered as a follower of Jesus, and clearly identified as one who shared Jesus In his life and living. For the present, however, I simply give myself to Him, and ask His leading.





Lord Jesus,

I thank You for this present reflection. Just what sort of "memorial" will I leave behind? I feel I must leave this to You. You have asked me, quite simply, to follow You. I give myself to this. I do not know how well I will go, I simply say - here I am. Take me and make me Yours, in Your precious name I ask.    Amen.




1 comment:

  1. Just catching up on your blog.
    Sounds like you are having a good time catching up with OS family.
    Looking forward to see you when back in OZ.
    The Kingdom Family ( Oz Family)

    ReplyDelete