Sunday 12 July 2015

Workers

Then he said to his disciples, "The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field."         (Matt. 9. 37,38)

Jesus was following His "everyday" ministry, what He was called in God to do. He went through all the towns and villages, teaching in their synagogues, preaching the good news of the kingdom and healing every disease and sickness. (v 35) As He went, as He observed the crowds He saw their helplessness. They were harassed like sheep without a shepherd. He had compassion for them.

He also took action against their helplessness. When He spoke to the disciples, I believe He did so with enthusiasm. I can see Him urging His followers to cry out to the Lord to send His workers out into the vast fields of harvest.

I don't think the scene has changed. As I look about me today, I see so many harassed and helpless in the many harvest fields of this world. I also think the action is the same, to cry out, passionately, to God to send His workers into the fields. I can go - of course, I can go, but there is an almighty difference if I am sent by God.

I can respond to God -whether or not I sense His calling of me. Like Isaiah, I can say to the Almighty, "Here I am, Lord. Send me."





Most Powerful God,

I see the vast harvest fields that extend across the whole of the earth today. I see countless numbers who are helpless and harassed. Many are unaware of this state.

My prayer is to cry out to You in sincere urging and to ask You to send workers out into these many fields, to bring a message of hope and salvation.

I offer myself to be used by You in whatever capacity You choose for me. As we go, show us Your way and enable us with Your means. Let the compassion of Christ bring the harvest into the Father's fold

Let this be an everyday happening for me.      Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment