Thursday 16 July 2015

Holy Islands

Today I visited the Holy Island of Lindisfarne.

From the time I began to plan this trip some weeks ago, this particular visit has been a source of excitement for me and a highlight I have looked forward to. I have not been disappointed.




One of the first places I visited was the parish church of St. Mary the Virgin.


As I sat in the sanctuary, I reflected on the lives of those precious early saints, Aidan and Cuthbert.


I quietly read the prayer of St Aidan of Lindisfarne:

      Leave me alone with God
      as much as may be.
      As the tide draws the waters
      close in upon the shore
      make me an island, set apart,
      alone with you, God, holy to you.

      Then with the turning of the tide
      prepare me to carry your presence
      to the busy world beyond,
      the world that rushes in on me
      till the waters come again
      and fold me back to you.

As I reflected on these words, I recalled how God led me, some years ago, to the practice of starting my day in complete surrender to Him, rather like an island, set apart, alone with my Maker and my God. Then, refreshed in His presence and renewed in the Holy Spirit, I was ready to take His presence into the busy world beyond. And when the day was done, He folded me back into Himself.

Jesus has been speaking to me throughout this day. He has been reminding me that I, too, am a holy island. First, He brought to my mind the words from Paul's first letter to the Corinthians reminding me that my body is a temple of the Holy Spirit (1 Cor 6.19). The Holy Spirit within me affirms me as a Holy Island. Jesus then reminded me of an old adage: No man is an island unto himself. This brings me back to Aidan's words of carrying God's presence into a busy world.

So let me start the day centering myself in Him. Let me take His Holy presence into the busy world beyond. And may He be honoured and glorified in all things.




Most Precious God,

I thank You for the most wonderful day. I have truly walked on holy ground today. I have surely experienced Your presence with me.

My humble prayer is that I may journey each and every day in company with You. Let me take the sweet aroma of Your presence with me wherever I go.

I praise and glorify You in Jesus' name.     Amen.





No comments:

Post a Comment