Thursday 23 July 2015

Gift and Call

Yesterday I was "on the go". I travelled from Aberdeen to Winchester via Edinburgh and London. I particularly wanted to re-visit Edinburgh because it was here -many years ago - that history first became real and meaningful to me.

As I wandered about Edinburgh castle several decades ago, the atmosphere seemed so heavy with history that I expected Mary, Queen of Scots, to appear at any moment.


Today I left the railway station and wandered through the gardens adjacent to Princes Street.



As I looked up to the roadway above, I glimpsed an advert on the side of a bus for, I think, a new release film. All I saw was the words "The Gift". Later in the day, I saw the ad more clearly, and it seemed that the film was not of the most pleasant variety. However, as the bus passed above me,the words "The Gift" instantly touched me with the realisation of the wonderful gift I have received from God. This gift, the gift of salvation, I regard as the greatest miracle of all. I am truly blessed to have received it. 

No sooner had the bus passed when, adjacent to the path I was walking through the gardens, I came across a memorial. This was entitled "The Call" and it was a tribute from a Scots of the New World to those of the old country who had given their lives in the Great War.


Again, a different thought came to me. Am I honouring the call that God has given me? I hope so! Maybe this simple journal entry is part of my response. My dear desire is to be open to Him, and willing to respond in eagerness and fullness to whatever He may ask of me.





Most Holy Father,

I thank You for guiding me to, and through, Edinburgh. You have met me here and given me the most powerful alerts and insights.

I thank You for all that You do for me, and for all that You enable me to do.

I give myself afresh into Your service. Use me as You will, in Jesus' precious name I ask.    Amen.




No comments:

Post a Comment