Wednesday 15 July 2015

The Church in Wales

During a special visit to a cousin living on the Gower peninsula in South Wales, I was privileged to visit several local churches with her. These relatively small houses of God have been places of worship for many centuries.





13th Century church of St. Madoc at Llanmadoc




14th Century church of St. Cadoc at Cheriton






12th Century church of St. Cenydd again Llangenith


Whenever I enter a sanctified building of some age, I am instantly aware of the faith that has inhabited the very stones of the structure down through the centuries. This faith has carried the light of the Gospel of Christ through times both fair and foul. The faith and the light shine forth from these buildings today, where modern pilgrims join with "the faith of their fathers" in glorious praise and worship of a most mighty and loving God. I pay my  respects to the saints of earlier times who kept the flame burning and handed it down through the ages.

Back in eastern South Wales I saw twenty-first century faith in action when, on Sunday, I attended morning service with my brother (at Pontypridd), and in the evening went to church with my sister (at Barry). On both occasions I joined with wonderful brothers and sisters who were truly, and fully, alive in the Lord.

In the handful of visits I made last weekend, I could say that"the Church", in Wales, was truly alive. My prayer is for this life to extend to the whole of God's church, in Wales and to the ends of the earth.




Lord God,

Our Saviour Jesus promised that He would build His church. I have seen parts of the church that are soundly and securely built. I pray that these remain so.

I pray also for those parts of the church that do not seem to be so healthy. Please, Jesus, bring health to Your church, to every part of it worldwide.

I ask also that You bring the lost out from their present darkness and into the Gospel light. Shine forth, Lord, in Your people and through Your people. Let the world see the reality of lives lived in You. Thank You.       Amen.





















No comments:

Post a Comment