Monday 20 July 2015

Highlands

Today I have been walking in the Cairngorms. Just after lunch yesterday we set out from Foot-Dee village in Aberdeen. We drove through delightful Deeside in sunny weather, stopping briefly at Balmoral and Braemar before arriving at Aviemore. 

This morning we set out to walk. We drove from Aviemore to Rothiemurchus where we began the walk. We made a circuit walk utilising the Lairig Ghru track.


The overcast sky provided a fitting covering to the rugged country beneath.


The natural vistas were quite wonderful.

 
I
 


I marvelled at the grandeur and scope of creation, while my thoughts travelled to the Creator.

As I walked, I recalled memories of another "highland" walk of some years ago when I traversed La Meseta in Spain during my walk of the Camino Frances. The scenery then comprised a bright blue sky with a wonderfully warm sun shining down on the greenest fields swaying blissfully in the gentle breeze.     I felt as if I was walking, literally, on top of the world.

Today the warm, sunny sky is replaced by rain clouds that threaten to burst at any moment (though we completed our walk with just a few sparse drops). The ground beneath this menacing sky is not even and lush as was the Meseta. Rather it is mountainous and rugged with quite a different vegetation. The two scenes compete in stark contrast. Yet both remind me of God's awesome creation. As I write this, I think of yet another, different expression of amazing creation - that of the coastline and outback of my  adopted home country of Australia.


I am lost in the joy of being part of His wonderful work. I praise my Maker, my God, my Friend.




Almighty God,

I lift the whole of my being to You in grateful thanks. I thank You for the opportunities You give me to experience and appreciate so many different aspects of Your creation. I thank You for creating me as part of this amazing world.

I pray a cosmic peace to cover us all. May the various parts of Your creation join together in harmony and true well-being. Thank You.     Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment