Saturday 7 March 2015

the Spirit

Jesus answered, “I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit.”                                                                                       John 3.5


Nicodemus didn’t understand the “second” birth, the birth of the Spirit. Indeed, what exactly is meant by “being born of the Spirit”? There may be as many answers to that question as there are theologies.

What impacts me today is the consequence of the Spirit that Jesus reveals:
         “The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot
         tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born
         of the Spirit.” (v8)

The Spirit, like the wind, will blow wherever it pleases. This does not mean that I can go wherever, or do whatever, I please. But, as I am led by the Spirit of God, He may take me wherever, and lead me to do whatever. This comes clearly to me in one word – freedom!

In the Spirit I am free for God to have His way with me. He may take me anywhere and He may do just as He pleases with me. How amazing and how wonderful! How can I not give myself fully to Him in this?




Lord God,

I declare that I have been born of water and the Spirit – and I rejoice!

I give myself fully to Your Holy Spirit. I invite You to have Your way in all that I am and in everything that I do. I want to go no other way than the way You have ordained for me.

I pray for my journey through the day ahead. I look to Your leading and guidance. Show me those things You would have me take note of. Make clear to me all that You want me to do.

I love You and I want to spread that love and encourage others in it. I need Your Holy Spirit. And so, I surrender to You. And the very act of surrender frees me. How blessed I am.


Come, Holy Spirit, lead me on, in Jesus’ name I ask.                   Amen.


My book “God Talk” is available through major Internet booksellers.
A taste of the book's content can be seen in the You Tube clip (Search: Peter Francis - "God Talk").

No comments:

Post a Comment