Wednesday 4 March 2015

Caution

But Jesus would not entrust himself to them, for he knew all men. He did not need man’s testimony about man, for he knew what was in a man.                    John 2.24,25


I sense a caution in these words. Jesus loved people. He gave Himself to them, seeking always to bring them to a better place. He taught, He healed, and He ably demonstrated the Father’s love. But He was also cautious. He did not give Himself unwisely. Jesus, I believe, was careful in how He disclosed Himself, and to whom.

From these words I sense that I, too, need to be wise about how I share Jesus. Not all people will welcome Him. Some may ridicule. Some may be overtly hostile. I will not share my Lord where He is likely to be sneered at or made small of. I need wisdom, therefore, to know just when to speak, how to frame my words and form my actions.

Wisdom is a gift from God. James tells me if I lack wisdom I should ask God, for He gives generously. When it comes to sharing Jesus in spreading the Gospel, I can look to God to give me openings and also equip me and lead me in what to say and do.




Holy Father,

Jesus would not entrust Himself to every one. But I have been privileged to meet with Him and further honoured to be drawn into ministry with Him.

I want my work for You to be the best I can offer. I ask therefore for Your wisdom and guidance in all that I do. I pray that You will guide me to those You wish me to minister to. Let me sense a check with people it would be unwise to share with.

I live to see Your name exalted. Lead me, please, in those paths where I can best serve You. I love You and want others to know of that love. I realize all will not receive it. Direct me, please, to those who will, in Jesus’ name.               Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment