Saturday 1 November 2014

Revenge

Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God’s wrath, for it is written: “It is mine to avenge; I will repay.” says the Lord.       Rom. 12.19


I notice how Paul writes to his “friends”. As I read  these words I see myself as a friend of Paul and I receive what he says as the counsel and advice of a caring friend.

Paul urges me against revenge. I could easily be tempted to consider revenge if someone were to act unfairly or abusively toward me. Indeed, I might find myself quite incensed as  the recipient of unjust treatment. It would be difficult for me to heed Paul’s words to not take revenge.

Then I hear what he follows through with. He reminds me that God has declared that He will repay, for it is His to avenge. God cannot proceed if I do not leave room for Him.

I remember that I am God’s child. I know Him as Father. Indeed, I know Him as the most loving father. Furthermore He is equipped to bring far more effective remedy that I could possible achieve.

My mind takes me beyond revenge to a more appropriate resolution. In my hands, revenge would possibly stop at justice - and, I must confess, it could  just be a “justice” that is more favourable to me. Indeed, more of a strict punishment. God, however, can effect action to satisfy my hurt, but He can further lead the offender into healing or re-formation. God can bring the other person to a place of wholeness - and goodness! 

Hallelujah!!




Almighty God,


I know You to be all-mighty. I also know You as my loving Dad. My desire is to release any who hurt or offend me to You. Help me to do so, 


I pray as well for the restoration of such people to a state of wholeness and goodness. May they also know the wonderful relationship that is found in You. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment