Wednesday 29 October 2014

The Temple

And as he taught them, he said,
“Is it not written:
‘My house will be called
a house of prayer for all nations’?
But you have made it ‘a den of robbers.’ ” Mark 11.17


Jesus has cleared the temple. He was outraged to enter the temple and see the way in which it was being abused. It resembled a market place rather than God’s holy citadel. Buying and selling was rife, money changers were perhaps more prominent than priests and worshippers. Jesus reacted strongly. He caused chaos among the dealers and reminded everyone of the true purpose and function of the temple.

God’s holy habitation is not for commercial exploitation. Specifically it is to be a house of prayer. Prayer is communication with God. This indicates intimate connection and relationship. The temple is a chosen and anointed place for this to occur. The temple, therefore, is a holy place, a place set apart. It must not, it cannot, be contaminated by humanity’s wheeling and dealing.

Paul reminds me that my body is the temple of the Holy Spirit (1 Cor. 3.16; 6.19). Just as with the Jerusalem Temple, the temple of my body is a ‘place’ dedicated to God and to His holy purposes. I have a commitment and an obligation to treat this temple well. I need to keep my temple healthy in body, mind and spirit. I cannot allow abuse of any kind that may cause results comparable to the commercial abuse of the Jerusalem sanctuary. No, my body is a temple, truly a sanctuary for God’s Holy Spirit, and I have a responsibility to look to its appropriate upkeep and use.

I realise that I am too weak to ensure the optimum state of well being of this temple that goes everywhere with me and is involved in all that I do. But I am reminded also that the Holy Spirit plays a part in this. It’s His temple. He ‘lives in me’. Hallelujah! I know I can call on Him to direct me in the right paths and help me to stay there.



Holy God,

I am reminded today that my body is indeed a temple of Your Holy Spirit. I re-dedicate this temple to You. Fill me, please, to overflowing with Your presence. I pray for the atmosphere of holy reverence to be apparent in my person. May the temple that is me be a sanctuary, a haven of rest in peace and in communion with the most high, the most loving, the most Holy.

Cleanse me of any impurity as my Lord Jesus cleansed the Temple. fill me with Your Holy Spirit. Keep me clean and free from defect. I cannot do this for myself, my flesh and my weakness interfere. I surrender these to You. I invite You to take them and let me be free of all worldly and evil influence.


I’m Yours, Lord. Take me and make me truly Yours, in Jesus name I ask. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment