Sunday 5 October 2014

Challenge!



Then the peoples around them set out to discourage the people of Judah and make them afraid to go on building.           Ezra 4.4


The Jews had commenced reconstruction of the temple. When the surrounding peoples (the enemies of Judah) first heard about this, they offered to help, claiming that they also sought the Lord God and wished to sacrifice to Him. Though these were the people of Samaria, they were likely migrants from Mesopotamia and Aram, who served their own gods, but also worshipped the Lord as the god of the land (of Samaria).

It is possible that Zerubbabel, Jeshua and the other leaders considered this an act of convenience and not of true belief and commitment. They rejected the offer of help. Whereupon the people set on them.

I am getting particular insight in to this cameo of scripture, which is this: If someone is not faithfully and truly dedicated to God, they are likely to become belligerent, angry and threatening if they are challenged in their belief. I believe there is only one God (albeit in Holy Trinity) who is a jealous God. He demands our obeisance. When we truly believe, we are not likely to react as “the enemies of Judah” did when challenged.

God gifts us with fruits of the Spirit which include long-suffering and, of course, love. If challenged, I am called to patiently endure, persevere – and love. I do not change my mind or back down because of challenge. Rather I look to God to strengthen me, which He surely will.



Lord God,

I pray that nothing or no one will discourage me in my pursuit of you. I commit to You and seek more of You.

I ask You to strengthen me in any and every adversity. Be my strength, and also my guide. Lead me only where You would have me go.

I commit to venture through every door that opens before me and I ask You to firmly close any door You do not wish me to take. I ask these things in Jesus’ name.                      Amen.





My book “God Talk” is available through major Internet booksellers.
A taste of the book's content can be seen in the You Tube clip (Search: Peter Francis - "God Talk").
 

No comments:

Post a Comment