Sunday 19 October 2014

Opposition

As soon as the copy of the letter of King Artaxerxes was read to Rehum and Shimshai the secretary and their associates, they went immediately to the Jews in Jerusalem and compelled them by force to stop.      Ezra 4.23

The Jews experienced ongoing opposition. Chapter 4 appears to contain a summary of various attempts to thwart their efforts to restore full and fitting worship to God in a rebuilt temple.

And it doesn't change! History is littered with similar stories. Indeed in many parts of the world today religious persecution, especially of Christians, is rampant. Humanity's fall (Genesis chapter 3) is truly a sad event, for it seems to have unleashed a horrific backlash against God. Sin, often seen as the major negative effect of the fall, is clear demonstration of this.

The insidious nature of the enemy's evil ways is further seen in the subtle manner in which even the most liberal governments today are averse to true religious freedom. The Christian God is well and truly under attack. Yet, praise God, He is bigger than anything that may seek to come against Him.

In all things, even when the darkness is greatest, I am convinced that He is supreme. Nothing happens without His knowing or allowing.




Great God and Mighty Redeemer,

I am thankful to be Your son. I rejoice in the relationship I have with You. I pray for this sick world and seek Your strength and protection. May I ever proclaim You as my Lord and my God.

Empower me please to face any opposition that may come, to face it and to overcome it.

I thank You for the present liberty we experience in some parts of the world. I pray for the more oppressive regimes, and seek Your protection for Your people. Dear Lord, please safeguard them, each one. Hold them close. Let them know Your love and Your presence in ever-growing measure.

Be with us, Lord, and lead us on into glorious victory. In Jesus' name I ask.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment