Saturday 11 October 2014

Sober judgment



For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you.                                        Romans 12.5


The first aspect of this verse that comes clearly to me is that Paul is speaking forth in grace. What he says I can receive as encouragement, but many may see it as criticism or even condemnation. And so, it is important to see that Paul is acting in grace.

This grace does not originate in Paul. It is given to him by God. God’s grace signifies to me the sweetest love and concern.

Paul’s act of grace is to tell me, in effect, not to big note myself. I am to think of myself with “sober judgment”. This suggests a temperate, even humble approach. Yes, the humble approach sits well with me.

I have been given a measure of faith by God. This enables me to be and to do what He would have of me. All that I do, I do in His power. There is no praise or kudos to me. But I do experience a most wonderful fulfilment when I give myself into His hands.

Here, then, is my contribution. God can do whatever He desires. Strangely, yes most oddly, He determines to use me as a co-worker. But He leaves me free to choose to work with Him. All He requires of me is to say “Yes”. Everything else He will provide. How blessed I am to be taken by Him into such wonderful partnership. I cannot think highly of myself. I’m just so grateful that He deems to work in me, with me, and through me.




Dear Lord,

Thank You, Thank You, most precious One, for reaching out to me as You do. Thank You for inviting me to share the journey, and all it entails, with You. Thank You for loving me.   Amen.



My book “God Talk” is available through major Internet booksellers.
A taste of the book's content can be seen in the You Tube clip (Search: Peter Francis - "God Talk").

No comments:

Post a Comment