Thursday 2 October 2014

Protected



Then Zerubbabel son of Shealtiel and Jeshua son of Jozadak set to work to rebuild the house of God in Jerusalem. And the prophets of God were with them, helping them.                        Ezra 5.2


The work, brought to a standstill by the efforts of hostile men, was recommenced. God had spoken. The prophets Haggai and Zechariah had prophesied to the Jews, bringing them God’s word and directions. The ruling authorities questioned the actions of rebuilding (v3) but God’s protection was clearly in place over His people. We read: ...the eye of their God was watching over the elders of the Jews, and they were not stopped until a report could go to Darius and his written reply be received. (v 5)

I am aware of two clear aspects in this story. One is the separation and distinction between the people of God and the others. Their aims differ, they have different agendas, and their methods are not the same. The second point is how God directs and protects His people. Yet, I sense there is a rider here. The Jewish leaders, Zerubbabel and Jeshua, obeyed the word of the Lord given to them by Haggai and Zechariah. God looks for the obedience of His people (1 Sam. 15.22). As we give ourselves to Him in humble obedience so, I believe, we can look for His guidance and protection.

As I, once more, translate this insight to today, I am mindful of the great divide between those people who follow the Lord God and seek to keep His ways and live in His will, and those who do not. I pray that God’s people will be courageous to live and do as He would have them live and do. As Zerubbabel and Jeshua stepped out in obedience, may we also be obedient, in this twenty-first century, to our great God. My fervent prayer is also that God will both direct and protect us. It might be that temple works have been on stand-still in many parts of the church of Jesus Christ. Rebuilding needs to recommence. God may be speaking today through His prophets. He may be poised to lead His people forward into a glorious new temple era. O, that His people, everywhere, will be alert to what He has to say, and obedient to what He may ask of us.



Lord God,

You are sovereign and supreme. I bow before You in humble gratitude. I look to You as my whole means of living.

I pray for the state of today’s world, and I cry out for the placement and condition of Your people. My heart cries out against the liberalism that seems to be destroying society. Dear God, we need You. The world is crying out for Jesus but doesn’t know it. Hear my payer for the world. Save us, Lord. Your word says that whoever believes in Jesus will be saved. I ask You to draw unprecedented numbers into relationship with Jesus. May a worldwide movement gain momentum with people coming into true and lasting, living relationships with Jesus.

I pray for the Christian community. I ask for Your protection and strength. Raise up men and women of unquestioning obedience. Build Your church into a powerful force of love, impossible to ignore. Show us clearly the way, and lead us in it.

I ask for myself. I’m available, Lord. I give myself into Your service. I ask You to continue to equip me as I need it. You said You will open doors for me. I pray I may readily recognise the doors that You open, and willingly pass through. I offer myself if there is anything I can do to improve the state of people’s lives and lead them closer to You. If I hesitate at what You might ask of me, I seek Your strengthening. I pray for a deep delight in my heart to draw people closer to You.

And I seek this for myself. May I experience greater intimacy with You? Will You take me further, draw me closer, and cause me to go deeper? I love You, Lord and I seek to be so interwoven with You that I lose myself. May I truly know the Christ in me, and live in Him. I ask all these things of You, humbly in His powerful and precious name.         Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment