Friday 28 November 2014

Build up

Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification.
      Rom. 14.19


Paul has spoken at length against the negatives and he has now moved on to the positives.

His present encouragement is to do that which leads to peace, and which builds us up. We can so very easily slip into critical mode, and, before we fully realise it, we are pulling each other down.

When I reach out to another in genuine peace, I have their wellbeing in mind. Also, as I do so, I build them up (I edify them) but I am also strengthened and fulfilled myself. The action is mutually beneficial; all parties are edified. How good is this approach! Yet how easy it is to miss it, and to lapse into negative behaviour.

Paul’s encouragement is to make every effort. There may be times when very little effort is required for me to edify another. Conversely, I could encounter times of real challenge, when I am called to stretch myself, making every effort - and likely some sacrifice as well.

Am I willing to do this? I’d like to think so. Yet, as in so much of my living now, I sense that I will most certainly require input from God. As I allow, He will equip, enable and lead me in actions that will help and bless others - and result in our mutual edification.




Lord God, 

I hear what You’re telling me through Paul. I give myself to this exhortation to make every effort to reach out to others in affirming manner.


As with many things, I ask for Your help. When it’s not clear to me, please show me the way. Equip, enable and lead me to do what You would have me do. Thank You. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment