Tuesday 4 November 2014

Feed Him

On the contrary:
“If your enemy is hungry, feed him;
if he is thirsty, give him something to drink.
In doing this you will heap burning coals on his head.” Rom. 12.20



Paul quotes Proverbs (25.21,22) in this verse with the possibility that “heaping burning coals on the enemy’s head” could result in his repentance. Again, Paul’s message is against vengeance.

I think I would surely struggle to feed a starving enemy. Yet again I understand the wisdom of releasing my enemy to God. I would not be able to bring my foe to repentance, but God can do anything! In order for God to act I need to let go. If God tells me to feed my enemy then this is what I must do.

This reflection is reinforcing to me what must be my priority. And this is obedience to God. I cannot pretend to be a Christian. Either I am a follower of Christ or I am not! When God tells me to do a thing, like feeding a hungry enemy, and I do not do it, then I am not acting as a true follower of Christ - and any resultant posturing would be pretence. 

I cannot pretend. God has wrought so much good in my life. He has brought such a release to me, a release into the person He created  me to be. He is still working on this.

I have such joy in the person He is showing me He created  me to be that I could not possible do anything against Him. 

Yet I could well struggle to treat my enemy decently. Again, I need God!




Loving God,

My deepest desire is to please You. Yet there may be many times when this is not easy for me to do. 


Again I seek Your help. I see the partnership that I live in with You and I’m reminded, once more, of how much the weaker partner I am. Help me, please. Lead me in ways that will please and delight You. I believe we can do this together. I thank You, Hallelujah! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment