Tuesday 2 September 2014

When afraid?



When I am afraid,
I will trust in you.
In God, whose word I praise,
in God I trust; I will not be afraid.
What can mortal man do to me?
                                                Psalm 56.3, 4


I can see how, in times of trying and fear, it is understandable to cry out to God in desperation, and to trust Him because there appears to be no alternative. But this is what I would label the God of desperation.

Against this, I propose the God of devotion. This is the God with whom I walk every day. I trust my God at all times. Why should I reserve God for only those times when I am in need and likely in utter despair?

There is so much in God to be enjoyed. The richness of relationship with Him is inestimable. This relationship may certainly grow during my times of urgent need, but it surely will blossom in peace and in times of joy and freedom.

Yes, this is my God! He is ever there for me. I certainly remember this when I have a need. But I walk with Him. I trust Him also when I have no pressing “want” from Him. This is when I can truly enjoy Him, and pray that He enjoys me.



Holy God, Dear Friend,

I pray that I will not forget You ever. I wish to walk with You, and to trust You – at all times.

I especially think today of those “normal” times when nothing in particular sets itself against me, pressing me to seek You out. These are times of calmness and joy, maybe even happiness. I want to spend such times with You.

When life goes well, I wish to remind myself that You are the source. Your love for me rescues me from the pit, but also leads me beside still waters.

May I enjoy You, Lord, at all times? And may You, likewise, enjoy me? I ask this in Jesus’ name.          Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment