Monday 8 September 2014

A royal song



I will praise you, O LORD, with all my heart; before the “gods” I will sing your praise.                                                              Psalm138.1


Psalm 138 is described by the NIV Study Bible as: A royal song of praise for God’s saving help against threatening foes.

The “gods” referred to are likely pagan kings or the gods that they worshipped and claimed to represent.

The royal psalmist had cause to praise God so forcefully in the presence and under the threat of his enemies:
               When I called, you answered me;
                        you made me bold and stout hearted.
(v3)

He knows the constant protection that God gives:

               Though I walk in the midst of trouble,
                        you preserve my life;
                        you stretch out your hand against the anger of my foes,
                        with your right hand you save me.
(v7)

Just at present I’m not surrounded by fearful foes, yet I know that trouble and calamity can threaten at any time. The God of the psalmist is my God, and I thank Him that He is unchanging. What He was yesterday, He is today and for ever. The God who both protected and strengthened the psalmist does the same for me. I have no reason to fear anything, save this wonderful God who loves and cares for me. With the psalmist I am assured that:

               The LORD will fulfil his purpose for me. (v8a)



Mighty and Loving God,

I raise my voice with that of the psalmist and I praise You with every fibre of my being. I thank You for the love You have for me that strengthens and emboldens me in times of trouble. I thank You for the amazing love with which You envelop me and nurture me.

I give myself fully to You for Your purpose to be fulfilled in me. Have Your way, Lord, freely, in who I am and in what I do. Lead me Your way through this day, and through my life, in Jesus’ name I ask.                        Amen.




My book “God Talk” is available through major Internet booksellers.
A taste of the book's content can be seen in the You Tube clip (Search: Peter Francis - "God Talk").
 



No comments:

Post a Comment