Friday 26 September 2014

God’s holy shelter



He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.    Psalm 91.1


These words draw quite an amazing picture for me. I see myself dwelling in God’s holy shelter. The first realisation I get is that of a true shelter. I am protected; I am safeguarded from all that is outside God. This does not mean that I will not be threatened. I might even experience some suffering. But, if I choose to dwell in His shelter, I will only be exposed to what He allows. And I will know, at all times, that He is with me. He is for me.

I also see clear connotations to dwelling in His shelter. This is abiding, and ongoing action. It can be a permanent state – for as long as I choose. Yes, I want to dwell in His shelter, and to abide in this place at all times.

As I do this I will find true rest. Does this mean that life will be free of trouble and difficulty? I don’t think so! But, if trouble strikes, or seeks to strike, me I am able to freely rest in Him.

I am comforted, again, by the knowledge that He is with me, and He is for me. Why would I want to make any other choice save that of dwelling in His shelter and resting in His shadow?



Loving Father,

I see You with arms outstretched, inviting me into Your shelter, to dwell there and to rest in Your protective and loving shadow.

I come, Lord. I give myself wholeheartedly into You care. I bring myself to a place of rest in You. You may restore and equip me in this place. You may choose to commission me. Or You may simply enjoy my company. Whatever, Dear Lord, I am Yours.

I set aside any agenda I might have other than to embrace Your agenda for me. For some time now I have wanted only Your will for my life. I give my whole being to You. I invite You to do what You will.

Hold me close, please. May I truly know what it is to dwell in Your shelter and rest in Your shadow. I ask these things in Jesus’ name.                  Amen.





My book “God Talk” is available through major Internet booksellers.
A taste of the book's content can be seen in the You Tube clip (Search: Peter Francis - "God Talk").
 


No comments:

Post a Comment