Tuesday 23 September 2014

A shining face



Restore us, O God;
make your face shine upon us,
that we may be saved.
                                                             Psalm 80.3


Salvation only comes from God. No individual can save themselves. We may certainly seek God but, even then, I believe the desire to do so emanates from Him.

Salvation is the greatest gift, and God is the giver. God also gives other gifts. He blesses His creation  in many ways.

As well as the clear reference to salvation, this verse is a reminder of the beautiful Aaronic blessing of Numbers 6.26:

The LORD bless you and keep you;
the
LORD make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you;
the LORD turn his face toward you and give you peace.

The idea of God’s face shining upon me fills me with great peace and excitement at the same time.

God’s love shines forth, in salvation and blessing, as His countenance favours me. The psalmist cries out to his God. And he does so repeatedly, and with increasing intensity. In this present verse, he cries O, God; in verse 7 he cries out O God Almighty; finally, in verse 19 he cries O LORD God Almighty. The cries rise in strength and, as they do, I feel my expectation mount. I see my wonderful God “shining” upon me.



Mighty Saviour, Loving Lord,

I thank You for the salvation I have in You. You most clearly sought me out, and I am so grateful.

You also bless me without any deserving or merit on my part. There are times when I can almost physically see Your face shining upon me.

I respond in humble appreciation. You are Lord God Almighty. I am “just me”. You deign to seek me out and cultivate relationship with me. I thank You, wonderful Father. Draw me closer if You will. Take me deeper into You. I hunger and thirst for more. I rejoice in who I am in You. Shine upon me today, in Jesus’ name I ask.        Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment