Wednesday 17 September 2014

Brought down



“Though you soar like the eagle
and make your nest among the stars,
from there I will bring you down”,
                        declares the LORD.
                               Obadiah 4


These words are spoken against Edom who had engaged in hostile activities towards Israel for centuries. The Edomites and the Israelites were related, which makes their hostile attitude all the more reprehensible. But they were setting themselves up against God, and they had no hope.

I cannot ignore the situation in the Middle East today. Many nations have seemingly set themselves up against Israel. I am particularly aware of those countries that have acted as apparent allies of Israel, yet basically work for the destruction of God’s Holy Land. All such would be well advised to heed these words.

Later in his vision, Obadiah speaks further warning:

               The day of the LORD is near for all nations.
                        As you have done, it will be done to you;
                        your deeds will return upon your own head.
(v15)

This is further expression of the Biblical principle that you reap what you sow. This applies to individuals as well as to nations.

Let the whole world beware!



Lord God,

I am reminded that I will reap what I sow. Let me so sow in You that all that I do will please you and bring honour to You.

I pray for Israel and all those whose actions are not ultimately for the good of Your chosen people.

I ask You to intervene, mighty God, in the affairs of this sick world. May righteousness prevail. May the right action be taken on the world scene, right in You not right as human perversion sees it. Raise up Godly men and women who will truly fear You and live to do Your will.

Lord, hear my prayer for this whole earth. Save us, as You promised to, in Jesus’ name I ask.        Amen.




No comments:

Post a Comment