Saturday 20 September 2014

God’s ways



The LORD is slow to anger and great in power;
the LORD will not leave the guilty unpunished.
His way is in the whirlwind and the storm,
and clouds are the dust of his feet.
                                      Nahum 1.3


This verse says so much about God, and its order is perhaps significant. The first thing the prophet mentions is God’s patience. He is slow to anger. He is long-suffering and will take a great deal from us before His indignation is aroused. This is good news for us because often the decisions we make cause us to go the wrong way, and to act contrary to what may please God.

God is extremely patient, but we should not treat Him with over-familiarity or complacency. His power is great. One might say His power is extreme for, indeed, He is omnipotent – all powerful.

And this cautions us to the third statement that the prophet makes which concerns God’s punishing of those who are guilty.

The vivid descriptions of God’s ways emphasise the might of His power and give strong suggestion to the extent to which He is capable of exacting punishment on those who dishonour Him. Such were the Assyrians under their wicked and cruel leaders, and history attests to the mighty penalty that God exacted upon them.

Thus, I can rejoice to know that God is extremely patient, but I need also to remember His mighty power and His sovereign will to see justice – Godly justice – prevail.




Lord God,

I am grateful that You are slow to anger. I know that I do not always do the right thing. I am sorry for this and I ask Your forgiveness. I want to please You, not because I wish to be some sort of “goody-goody” Christian, but because I love You and want to be the best I can be for You.

I acknowledge Your great power. May You look favourably on me and protect and guide me in Your power. Lead me always in right ways, in Godly ways. Let me respond to You in positive desire to please You. Help me in this, in Jesus’ name I ask.              Amen.




My book “God Talk” is available through major Internet booksellers.
A taste of the book's content can be seen in the You Tube clip (Search: Peter Francis - "God Talk").
 

No comments:

Post a Comment